Danville in talks with Caesars Entertainment Corporation
In southern Virginia and officials for the city of Danville have reportedly launched negotiations that could see Caesars Entertainment Corporation given the right to build and operate the area’s envisioned casino.
According to a Monday report from local television broadcaster WSET-TV, the community of some 43,000 people is one of five that is due to seek voter approval via upcoming referendums for the right to host the state’s first batch of commercial casinos. These November 3 plebiscites were purportedly sanctioned by state legislators late last month and could also result in similar gambling-friendly developments for the Virginia cities of Bristol, Norfolk, Richmond and Portsmouth.
The broadcaster reported that the administration of Danville mayor Alonzo Jones is optimistic about the prospects of the forthcoming referendums and wants to be able to quickly capitalize on a positive outcome by pre-selecting a partner to construct and run a proposed $400 million casino complex on the site of a former textile mill.
WSET-TV reported that Danville hopes that the coming development for its abandoned Dan River Mills industrial complex will be able to feature a 35,000 sq ft conference center and a 500-room hotel as well as multiple bars and restaurants, a 2,500-seat live entertainments venue and a casino offering approximately 2,000 slots, 75 gaming tables and a sportsbook.
Jones reportedly told the broadcaster that he anticipates the coming Virginia casino development creating around 900 temporary construction jobs in addition to about 1,300 full-time positions featuring annual salaries of between $35,000 and $47,000. He moreover purportedly pronounced that this envisioned Horseshoe-branded complex from Caesars Entertainment Corporation could open by the end of 2023 to generate in excess of $24 million in annual local tax revenues.
WSET-TV reported that the ongoing negotiations could result in Las Vegas-headquartered Caesars Entertainment Corporation agreeing to make an upfront payment of at least $20 million to help cover associated land acquisition and public investment costs. It furthermore detailed that the city is hopeful of being able to use up to $35 million of the envisioned development’s projected annual tax revenues to fund projects that would encourage new business opportunities.
Jones reportedly told WSET-TV…
“We received several outstanding bids from a variety of companies competing to be Danville’s choice for a resort casino. The bid from Caesars Entertainment Corporation stood out as the best for our community.”
More on this: 36 stories
- Danville to Ask Circuit Court for Casino Referendum Green Light
- IGT Signs Multi-Year Deal with FanDuel Sportsbooks
- IGT and FanDuel agrees major multi-year sportsbook deal
- William Hill Opens its First Illinois Sports Book at Grand Victoria Casino Elgin
- Gambling.com debuts SlotSource.com to empower American slot players
- Gambling.com Group Launches SlotSource.com to Empower American Online Slot Players
- NetEnt to add US depth courtesy of Tipico link-up
- William Hill Launches Sports Betting Kiosks in Colorado
- DraftKings confirms rebranding of Casino Queen Illinois
- Illinois Casino Renamed “DraftKings at Casino Queen”
- William Hill Brings Sports Betting Kiosks to Isle Casino Hotel & Lady Luck Casino in Black Hawk, Colorado
- Portsmouth, VA Offers First Detailed Look at Proposed Rivers Casino
- Hard Rock to Seek Permission for Temporary Casino in Bristol, VA
- BonusFinder gains third US state licence in 2020
- Illinois Suspends In-Person Online Sportsbook Sign-Ups
- DraftKings Secures Entry in Michigan Sports Betting Market
- DraftKings inks betting deal with Michigan's Bay Mills tribal casino
- DraftKings makes Michigan play via Bay Mills Resort and Casino
- Danville Formally Names Caesars Preferred Casino Operator
- Playtech celebrates landing online casino products on New Jersey shore
- Ohio House Passes Retail and Mobile Sports Betting Bill
- Sportsbetting legislation gets the nod in Ohio
- Bristol Leaders Approve Game-Changer Hard Rock Casino Plan
- Hard Rock endorsed as preferred operator for Bristol casino
- DraftKings Explores Back-Door Entry in Illinois Betting Market